Economic inequality has been a prominent and perennial concern in economics and public policy. The persistence of inequalities within nations and across nations demands innovative policy responses to alleviate inequality. Poverty, while it has decreased over the last decade is still persistent in many countries in the world and also in certain areas of developed countries. A greater understanding of the driving forces and implications of wealth distribution is necessary to guide international organizations and governments throughout the world.
To address this need, the Department of Economics and Business at Central European University (CEU) in partnership with the Levy Economics Institute of Bard College is organizing a student conference on May 31- June 1 to bring together students working on thesis topics related to Inequality and Poverty. The two-day student conference will be held in a hybrid form with a physical conference in Vienna and others connecting online.
The Conference is a part of the project Rethinking Economic Policy to Address Inequality and Poverty, supported by the Open Society University Network (OSUN). OSUN will fund the participation of up to 12 students with the best thesis proposals. Students unable or unwilling to travel may join through livestream.
- The language of the conference is English
- Proposals should not exceed 250 words
- All applications should be submitted via the application page (https://forms.office.com/r/7BXRzrr4Dd)
- Submission deadline: March 15. (For those who need a visa to enter Austria: please apply by February 1)
- Late submissions will be considered on a case-by-case basis.
- Successful applicants will be notified by April 1.
- Successful applicants will have to submit papers by May 1.
- Papers should be 20-40 pages long
- At the conference, participants will have 15-20 minutes to summarize their papers followed by discussion and comments.
For 12 selected students OSUN will cover:
- Three nights of accommodation in Vienna
- 72 hour public transport pass
- Reasonable pre-approved travel expenses will be reimbursed to the participants. Accepted participants seeking reimbursement should contact the organizers to confirm if their expenses qualify.
For inquiries, please email us at email@example.com