Master of Arts in Economics
At a Glance
- Learn the tools and technical skills to do cutting-edge research in the public or private sector, or continue to a PhD
- U.S. and Hungarian master's degrees
- 2 years full-time
- 60 credits (120 ECTS credits)
- 20-25 students admitted yearly
- Tuition: EUR 12,000 per Academic Year
- CEU Master's Scholarships and Tuition Awards
- Full tuition waivers awarded to 90%, fellowships to 60%
- Top students continue to a PhD at CEU, or top schools such as Berkeley, Duke, Harvard, LSE, MIT, Princeton
The MA in Economics provides the skills necessary for research and analyst positions at government and international agencies, banks and other private firms. It also prepares students for continuing their studies at the best economics PhD programs around the world.
The U.S.-accredited MA in Economics was launched in 1994. It is registered in the U.S. by the Board of Regents of the New York State Education Department. The Hungarian-accredited MA in Economics ("Közgazdasági elemző mesterszak”) was launched in 2007. The program, designed to comply with the Bologna process, is accredited by the Hungarian Accreditation Committee (HAC).
The U.S. and Hungarian programs are fully integrated. Accepted students are first enrolled in the U.S.-accredited program. Upon enrollment, they can then opt to enroll in the Hungarian-accredited program as well. By choosing this option they have to satisfy some additional requirements.
The language of instruction is English.The Fall and Winter terms of Year 1 cover the core of mainstream economics (Mathematics, Statistics, Microeconomics, Macroeconomics, Econometrics). The Spring term of Year 1 and Year 2 offer more advanced and specialized field courses in various topics, after which students write and defend their Master's thesis.
Class of 2021
- Students: 15
- Countries: 11 in Europe, the Americas and Asia
- Age: 23 years on average, ranging from 21 to 27
- Female-to-male: 6:9
Program Head: Prof. Attila Rátfai (N13, Room 412)
Program Coordinator: Ms. Zsuzsanna Bordás (QS 51, Room C324)