Overview of the PhD in Business Administration program
The proposed PhD Program comprises 62 credits. It consists of three main phases: 1) Foundations, i.e. the acquisition of fundamental knowledge in theory and methodological applications and fundamental scholarship in the core fields of business administration, 2) Specialization, development of the PhD candidates’ specific scholarly interests in and among Tracks that the Program offers, and 3) PhD Dissertation, milestones involving in-depth research formulation, implementation and publication on a research topic. The standard duration of the program is four years, and it is a full-time program.
Application and admission requirements
As part of their application package, applicants must submit the following materials:
- The completed Online Application Form
- A curriculum vitae or resume, including a list of publications, if any
- Proof of English proficiency
- Two letters of recommendation
- Academic records: the copies (and translations) of the applicant's transcripts and
diplomas (or a statement/extract from the registry indicating that the applicant will
receive his/her relevant degree by the time the program commences), as well as any other
certificates referred to in the application form.
- Submission of GRE or GMAT test scores. (Official score reports must be sent to CEU directly by the testing institution.)
- A short statement of purpose of max. 500 words
- A research proposal of 1500 to 2000 words. The research proposal should include the
research questions, aims and objectives of a research project. It should situate the project
in the context of the existing literature, be clear as to the expected academic contribution,
and outline possible appropriate analytical frameworks and methodologies. The submitted
research proposal will be used during the application process to assess the applicant's
understanding of what doing research in business administration entails.
- Application Fee of EUR 30
Applicants are expected to hold an internationally recognized MBA or Master's degree equivalent in or comparable degree in the social sciences or other fields to which business administration theory is applicable.
CEU Master's students wishing to enter CEU Doctoral Programs shall have a GPA of 3.3 or higher in their Master's coursework. In reviewing the application, the Doctoral Committee will determine the GPA adequacy of a non-CEU Master's degree. The PhD program will admit approximately five students each year to the PhD program.